I would like to take this opportunity to highly recommend Eireann’s inspirational and educational series of children’s books. “Maisie The Animal Minder” blends both fascinating true stories and oh so colourful illustrations. Maisie and her mum travel the country in their wonderful camper ‘Cherry’ who seems to have a personality all of her own…complete with cherry patterned curtains!!
With a background in Health Visiting, I can highly recommend these books for all settings whether it is nursery school, library reading corner or best of all parents at home reading to their children at bedtime.I so enjoyed reading them out loud to myself (my daughter is now 20 so I will have to wait for grandchildren to read Eireann’s “Maisie” books…I can’t wait!
Some of my favourite bits include:
- The map of Great Britain at the start of every book which shows Maisies journeys…a great way to talk to children about where they live in relation to the places/counties Maisie and her mum visit.
- The detail of each story reminds me so much of the security of my own fortunate childhood, together with the traditions and work ethics that still hold fast and true today…for example, jobs should be done especially for your animals before ourselves.
- The stories are very much relational in terms of new friendships made and the importance of maintaining family relationships, particularly in the story “Maisie and Ben” who are brother and sister.
- There is an emphasis on road safety and teaching children the importance of ensuring their animals are safely transported at all times.
- There is notably no mention of regular TV watching as the family entertainment is traditional when it comes to socializing with friends and family, talking, eating and laughing together.
- The illustrations keep both adults and children entertained, particularly when it comes to counting dolphins, crabs and seagulls.
In summary, this series of books can be enjoyed by both across a spectrum of generation and whilst harking back to a traditional aspect of family life maintains the joyous excitement of modern day childhood combined with these values.
RMN, RGN, Health Visitor Diploma